At long last, Phoenix Labs, the company behind the popular [IP blocking](/2007/12/04/ip-blocking-blocklists/ “IP Blocking & Blocklists”) software for Windows, has come out with a major revamped version for Mac OS X users. This is the first full (non-beta) release in nearly two years - long overdue for OS X users who value their privacy just as seriously as their WinXP and Linux counterparts. PeerGuardian integrates support for multiple lists, list editing, automatic updates, and blocking all of IPv4, (TCP, UDP, ICMP, etc.), making it the safest and easiest way to protect your privacy on the Internet.
Here are just some of the latest features that have been incorporated into v1.5 (final):
• Leopard compatibility.
• Stats now update once per second.
• Historical and Real-Time graphing of all connections.
• Auto-allow of local network configuration addresses, including DNS servers, routers and assigned interface addresses. Any changes made to the system are automatically detected.
• New global status item that allows quick access to Enable/Disable global and per-list filters.
• Mac OS X 10.4.9 or greater (Intel or PPC) — older versions will not be supported.
• Growl (http://growl.info) is required for the Temporary Allow feature.
• Beginning with version 1.4, PG is only supported when running from an Admin account.
Download / Installation
The release listed on the PhoenixLabs website at http://phoenixlabs.org/pgosx/ is still the old “beta” version (v1.5b1). Users should download the newest release from the sourceforge website. Not only is this a “final” release, but it also comes with an excellent PDF userguide that is not included in the release from the Phoenix Labs location.
Refer to the userguide for installation notes, how to configure PG, upgrading, and other instructions. The file is PeerGuardianUserGuide_en.pdf.
Users can also check out the PeerGuardian OS X forums for additional information & feedback.
UPDATE - March 9/09: PeerGuardian for Mac has finally been updated after nearly one full year. Check out the latest version 1.5.1 - available on the SourceForge site and the official PG homepage.
Beethink ip blocker works more stable on Windows, but it only works on Windows.