Mac user? Torrent addict? While most 0day-general trackers serve up at least some Mac / OSX releases, not many cater exclusively to Mac torrents. If you’re a Mac-freak, there be only three private trackers that you need to be a part of; and that’s BrokenStones, SaveTheCoratee & VortexNetwork. While all three are closed communities, here’s a few tips for getting invited, and what each has to offer.
BrokenStones.me is the granddaddy of all Mac trackers. While they suffered an absence from the scene at their old domain, BS has rebounded nicely - offering more than 5,000 active torrents (735 new torrents just in March ‘09, alone). BS is a great tracker; a must-have for Mac users. Features include:
- • Torrents can be downloaded as *.txt files.
- • Tons of large packs, including video packs (DRM-free *.m4v files) for iPhone or iPod.
- • Heavy focus on Mac utilities & software, including audio & graphics apps.
- • Very active forums. Large tutorials section for BitTorrent, software & graphics.
- • Reseeds can be requested for dead torrents.
- • Offers “free” torrents (where no data is collected in either direction - 101 in all) and “freeleech” torrents (known as “Golden” torrents - currently lists just 14).
BrokenStones Invites — Qualifying members receive either 1 or 2 invites every 10 days, although they can only be used when the member limit drops below 18,500. http://bswillyouinvite.me is a great starting place, also lists various trackers which offer recruitment. There’s also the BS IRC channel, but we should mention it’s not for invites:
BrokenStones… At A Glance
- Alexa Rank: 70,340
- Maximum Users: 18,500
- Members: 18,038
- Online Since: August, 2008 (as BrokenStones.me)
- Torrents: 5,080 (active); 6,247 (total)
- Torrents By Category:
- Apps (all): 1,888
- Games: 439
- Music: 993
- Audio (samples, effects): 225
- Graphics: 745
- iPod/iPhone: 284
- Others (Movies, TV, ebooks): 991
Few actually know that SaveTheCoratee is actually a ratio-free site. It works on a heavily-customized system known as ‘Coratees Saved’, in which 4 criteria are used to calculate the number of saved coratees (or points), which include: Number of uploaded torrents; seeding hours & torrents seeded; overall download GBs; and number of snatched torrents. It’s rather complicated, but we can tell you this: one will never be promoted to Power User without saving at least 1,000 more coratees than as deemed ‘needed’.
StC offers more than 2,600 Mac torrents, more than half of which are for apps & games. One really keen feature is the integrated Collages (adapted from What.cd), which lists groups of similar torrents.
The Writing Apps collage at StC:
SaveTheCoratee Invites — As originally planned, all new members receive 5 invites upon signup, but we can’t verify is this still holds true. StC is also considered a ‘no movement’ tracker on many torrent invite boards (including TPS and TR) and thus invite requests & giveaways are forbidden. StC has never been publicly open to direct signups, but there is recruitment for aspiring members in PU threads at What.cd & Waffles.fm, as well as StC’s own IRC invites channel:
irc://irc.savethecoratee.org - go to channel #invites - type !queue and be prepared for a short interview. Be sure to have some of your private tracker “profile” links on hand, proof that you’re a Mac user, as well as a speedtest from Speedtest.net.
SaveTheCoratee… At A Glance
- Alexa Rank: 288,882
- Maximum Users: 5,000
- Members: 3,362
- Online Since: August, 2008
- Torrents: 2,640
- Torrents By Category:
- Apps (OSX/Classic/office): 1,060
- Games: 332
- Music (alac): 305
- Components (fonts etc.): 199
- Materials (ebooks/audiobooks): 116
- Video (AppleTV/iPhone): 135
The first rule of Vortex: Don’t talk about Vortex. The second rule is, don’t give out the URL. Third rule: refer to them as “The Eye Of The Storm” - cool moniker, if it stuck. That was the plan, until it all got somewhat complicated.
Regardless of their troubled past, Vortex has quietly re-established itself as one of the leading Mac trackers. While their fora have all but been abandoned, it’s a great site for downloading OSX applications & games, as well as DRM-free video & films to watch on AppleTV or an iPhone. It’s worth noting that Vortex doesn’t carry music torrents, but offers a strong selection of components and materials.
Vortex Invites — By default, members need to have uploaded at least one torrent (and 25 GB UL) to be bumped up to the “Citizen” class in order to start receiving invites. Even then, invites are only distributed periodically once every three months or so - thus invites are difficult to come across. Vortex has never been publicly open to direct signups, but a great starting point is their IRC channel (read the MOTD), where an invitation may be requested.
VortexNetwork… At A Glance
- Alexa Rank: 300,534
- Maximum Users: 22,000
- Members: 5,732
- Online Since: July, 2008
- Torrents: 2,625
- Torrents By Category:
- Apps (OSX/iPhone/Classic): 1,288
- Games: 248
- Music: 0
- Components (fonts etc.): 257
- Materials (ebooks/audiobooks): 401
- Video (AppleTV/iPhone): 385
Other OSX / Mac Torrent Trackers:
- • www.mac-torrents.com — public tracker (1,616 torrents)
- • www.emaczone.com — Private tracker, but uses public torrents (380+)
- • www.proaudiotorrents.org — Not specifically a Mac tracker, but offers a vast array of audio-related torrents for OSX platform. Signups are currently closed.
- • forum.audionews.ru and forum.gfxnews.ru also have their own Mac sections for audio and graphics torrents, respectively. Each opens signups at the beginning of every month.
Mininova & ThePirateBay also have an impressive selection of Mac torrents:
- • Mininova’s Mac Software section
- • Mininova’s Mac Games section
- • TPB’s Mac Software section
- • TPB’s Mac Games section
On STC, it’s now 3 invites on signup, not 5.
Hm, good for mac users
Vortex is ‘The Eye of The Storm”? ROFL
I never realized Vortex was so high and mighty with themselves. I am a member of all sites mentioned and found them to be quite inferior :S
Shel Israel Says:
Shel Israel says, Vortex blows!
After what had happened, vortex is pretty much dead in the community’s eye
All you need is BS, STC, a few os x warez forums and of course the latest serial box/kcnscrew
How to create a “profile link” for another account used?
Please some one will you do me the kindness of telling me how to create a profile link?
When you are on like demonoid, then just go to your profile inthere.
Than you have an url in your browser like:
Just copy/paste or type that in the pm.
can anyone please send me an invite to any of these site… i am despreate!!! please
my email is: email@example.com
THANKKK U =)
WTB - invite to just brokenstones.me…. would sell my kidney if it would fit in a fax machine:
dda brokensones!! Says:
Please Please Please send me a brokenstones invite some body>>